by Pastor Brian Jones
October 12, 2014
Scripture Reading: Galatians 6:5-10
Overall Lesson: We make mistakes, but God doesn't give up on us! Samson had the power to kill 1000 men, but it took one woman to bring him down. Available in Audio only. The following verses are explored:
Judges 13:1-5 Samson is chosen to be a deliverer of Israel out of the hands of the Philistines.
Judges 14:1-4 Samson craved after a wife from the Philistine women against his parent's wishes
Judges 14:5-9 Samson killed a lion. Later Samson found honey in the body of the lion, for bees had made their comb there. He took the honey out of the carcass and also gave some honey to his parents, even though he wasn't supposed to touch the carcass.
Judges 14:10-18 Samson gives the Philistine men a riddle which they couldn't answer. The Philistine men went to Samson's Philistine wife to find out the answer.
Judges 14:19-20 Samson kills and steals
- Proverbs 5:1-23 Lesson for sons to not marry a 'stranger'
- Psalm 27:11-12 Asking God to teach us His ways
Judges 15:1-5 Samson sets foxes on fire and turns them into the Philistines' corn, vineyards and olives, burning up their vineyards and groves.
Judges 15:6 Philistines set Samson's wife and her father on fire.
Judges 15:7-20 Philistines go after Samson and he kills them with the jawbone of an ass
Judges 16:1-3 Samson with a harlot
- Study of harlot in Strong's Concordance. Not only about women, but people who go whoring after strange gods.
- Proverbs 6:23-28 Lust no after the beauty of strange women.
- If you commit a sin, you will pay for it.
Judges 16:4-5 Delilah sent by the Philistines to entice Samson
- II Corinthians 6:14-18 Be not unequally yoked with non believers
- Ephesians 6:10-12 Put on the whole armor of God that ye are able to withstand in an evil day
Judges 16:6 Philistines tried to tie up Samson, but he keeps breaking the ropes. Finally they found a weakness by shaving off his hair. They gauged his eyes. Samson was paying the punishment for his sins, however he called on God one last time and God answered his prayers.
- Psalm 44:20
- Judges 21-25
- I Corinthians 6:9-11